Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Pablo Neruda

I was out Sunday evening when I received a text from Kate asking if we have any Pablo Neruda in our basement library.  I let her know that we did (the little book on the left) and she read it that night.  When I picked her up from school yesterday afternoon, she asked to go to the bookstore to get more Neruda.  Kate loves poetry (any literature really) but she's also always been passionate about political revolution so it didn't surprise that she'd find interest in Neruda.  So we bought the big thick middle volume.  I found my old DVD copy of Il Postino when we got home.  Such a good movie and...with much of Neruda in it.  We'll watch it later in the week.
But then, as I was reading online during lunch today, I saw these articles about...Pablo Neruda.  They exhumed his his body yesterday (with tuxedoed musicians playing graveside) to run tests, hoping to determine whether he was poisoned by political adversaries or died of cancer as has been believed these past 40 years.  His foundation and his family were against it but willing to cooperate.  Varying articles have varying takes on the story and offer varying bits of information to support their take.  And I wonder if Kate knew any of this - she didn't mention it.  I can't wait till she gets home from school - what great conversation re: the implication of ethics, morality, politics, revolution, journalism and, of course, the POWER of poetry!  Here are links to the articles I read:
Star Tribune
Chicago Tribune
New York Times
Los Angeles Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!