Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Finally...Chicago

Last October, my mom, Kate and I had a trip to Chicago planned and this past weekend we finally made that trip.  In all my previous trips to the windy city, I've always stayed on the north side of the river.  But the hotel we always stayed at has been turned exclusively into residential apartments.  So we stayed south of the river and saw so many things I've never visited before.  Like the Art Institute and the Bean and the highest building in the western hemisphere - the Skydeck at the Sears Tower (I know, I know...it's called the Willis Tower now but, for me, it's always the Sears Tower):
We took the El from the airport to within a block of our hotel and, as we zipped along, I caught glimpses of this building with big green wings.  As soon as I would tell Kate or mom to look, however, it was too late - we'd passed the corner and they couldn't see it.  Then,...on our third day, as we walked from Millennium Park, I glanced both ways while preparing to cross a street and...there it was, the building with the green wings.  I don't know what the building is (our feet were too tired to walk the extra two block and find out!).
I have a wonderful college friend in Chicago who picked me up from the hotel on Sunday morning so we could go to church together followed by a long brunch and catch-up.  Way back when, cities were divided up into parishes.  A parish was your community and the church was where you were if you weren't at home or at work.  After mass, we had a cup of coffee in a basement area of the church which used to be the pub/bar/restaurant.  The church is very old and in constant reparation but the craftsmanship of every detail is amazing.
After we had our chance to chat, she and her husband had all of us out to their house the next day for a beautiful afternoon meal before our flight.  With a bottle of Chianti we were served cantaloupe wrapped in thinly sliced prosciutto, thick slices of buffalo mozzarella on tomatoes with olive oil and sea salt followed by a delicious pasta dish (sorry, L, can't remember the name!) with onions, pancetta, and red sauce.  And then...Nutella brownies (to die for!) served with hand whipped cream and fresh organic strawberries with hot coffee in delicate white cups.  Perfect.  Such a wonderful trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!