Wednesday, June 12, 2013

No More Dewey Decimal

We just returned from a trip to our public library.  John was looking for books about WWI aircraft and Kate was trying to find a particularr book about fairies.  She looked the book up on the computer catalog, wrote down the number and then searched the shelves.  I tried helping her but the shelves were all in this crazy order that made no sense to me.  Every time I thought I'd deciphered it's madness, I lost my path.  So...I asked for directions.  Apparently our library system is no longer using the Dewey Decimal Classification system.  I know!  Look at these biographies - not "921"!!  And poetry is no longer in the "830"s.  Everything is now shelved according to the Library of Congress Classification system.  I don't know if this system will be taught in schools now or if it will be like the American use of the metric system and we'll spend more time trying to translate back to Dewey than we would trying to just learn the new one.  Here's a little cheat sheet of how this all makes sense:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!