Friday, August 24, 2012

Bulgogi and Beer


When John celebrated his first communion two years ago, I wanted to make a big Korean meal for the party.  A friend of mine (fantastic cook!!) met with me during the months previous to the party and taught me how to cook a few korean dishes.  I was very proud of the meal and John really loved it.  And then I kind of stopped practicing the cooking.  This week, I pulled out the recipes my friend gave me, marked all up with her notes, hints, and (priceless) advice.  Korean cooking is very time consuming, however, and I had a very busy week.  So,...I "americanized" the bulgogi by using the crockpot.  Technically, bulgogi is marinated barbequed beef.  Galbi is also marinated beef, but specifically beef spareribs.  I used spare ribs, slicing them thin, but I didn't grill the meat (used the crockpot) so maybe it doesn't count.  But when John and Kate walked into the kitchen, they both immediately asked, "What smells like bulgogi?"  The next day's lunch was a fight for the leftovers.  The is the basic original recipe (although my friend adjusts the recipe, by taste, every time she makes it)

2 1/2 lbs thinly sliced beef
1 Tbsp water
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp black pepper
 1 1/2 Tbsp Mirin (sweet rice cooking wine)
1/3 cup sesame oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup Coke (or Sprite/ 7-Up)
minced onions
minced kiwi or pinneapple

Add water and sugar to beef and mix.  Combine remaining ingredients and mix into beef.  Place on grilling sheet and barbeque on the grill.  (Better if you let marinate overnight first)


August Minnesota Beer of the Month picks are from Boom Island Brewing Company in Minneapolis, MN and from Big Wood Brewery in Vadnais Heights, MN.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!