Monday, October 8, 2012

Such a Short Weekend

We spent a very quick weekend on the river.  Wet heavy snow fell on our drive Friday night, making it hard to navigate even with the windshield wipers slapping furiously.  But by mid-morning on Saturday, the snow had melted and the sun was shining on my kitchen trees at the river.  I recognize that I say "my" trees very proprietarily - I do not mean it that way. 
Twenty-some years ago, I read a letter written by Chief Seattle of the Suquamish and Dwamish Indians, copied it into my notebook, and have reread it many times.  Unfortunately, it is almost certainly not authentic.  Chief Seattle supposedly made a speech and wrote a letter (circa 1854), both of which have been replicated to the point of myth but there exists no proof of the real thing.  Of the two best known versions, I now know that I have held onto the one which was reproduced by a Hollywood screenwriter.  But they are beautiful words and I will continue to hang onto the chance that it may have been, at least, Chief Seattle's sentiments.
This we know: the earth does not belong to man;
man belongs to the earth.
All things are connected like the blood which
unites one family.
Whatever befalls the earth, befalls the sons of the earth.
Man did not weave the web of life,
he is merely a strand in it.
Whatever he does to the web,
he does to himself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!