Thursday, January 24, 2013

An Intentional Cup of Coffee

I love a good coconut latte so the first thing I ask when I visit a coffee shop is, "Do you have coconut flavoring?"  The answer is almost always "no" but still I ask.  So, yesterday morning, after I dropped the kids at their respective schools, I met a friend for a cup of coffee and our first chat since the new year started.  When I asked my standard opening question (re: coconut flavor), the ladies behind the counter looked at each other strangely and then back at me.
"We do", one of them said.
"It's so weird", the other said.  "Nobody ever asks for coconut and we found this bottle in the back room this morning and brought it out and just opened it right before you walked in." 
"Great", I said.  "I'd like a coconut latte, please."
"Here's the thing though", the first one said.  "We've never seen this bottle back there before and it's shelf date is February 1 so we'll only have it for another week.  Which is silly", she said, "since it's really just sugar syrup but...I guess it has to have a date, right?"
I said, "Well, I'll definitely be back in the next week then."  I received a $30 gift card as a Christmas gift so...I'll be back.
I sat at a table with my drink and a cheese danish and it was SO delicious.  Then the first lady came over to the table with a pen and paper.
"If you write down your name and number," she said, "I'll put it with the bottle and instead of throwing it out, we'll give it to you."
A little baffled, I said "great, thanks" and wrote my name and number.
A few moments later, the second one approached the table with a coffee shop gift bag and the nearly full bottle of coconut flavoring, dispenser and all.  She handed it to me.  "You might as well take it now," she said.  "Save you a trip."
I wasn't sure if there was a hidden camera somewhere or what - this was strange.  Nice, really nice, but strange.  Of course, I said thanks.
My friend arrived and we had a great chat - she even brought me two books she was finished with - it was a very nice morning.
This morning, I organized my day, got my errands run, put in my writing time, and then made a very intentional cup of coconut coffee.  I found this french press coffee caraffe and milk frother, brand new, still in the box, unopened, a few years ago at a thrift store.  I suppose someone received it as a gift but didn't want to keep it.  I bought them but have never taken the time to use them.  I brewed the coffee and frothed the coconut laced milk, poured them together in this pottery bowl that my youngest brother made in college.  The bowl has always reminded me of a latte cup and I like that I have to use both hands to drink from it - no unconscious grabbing of mug, sipping without tasting.   Hmmmmm. So warm and creamy and coconutty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!