Thursday, January 17, 2013

More than There was Before

During summer vacation, a few years ago, I wanted a project that the kids and I could work on; actually I wanted identical projects that we could work on, each in our own style and pace but with the benefit of watching and learning from each other.  When we saw a cart of old, used hardcover books on the sidewalk in front of a shop, I had an idea.  We each bought one ($1 a book).  My choice was Heidi by Johanna Spryi.  I've never read this book but the point of this project was not to choose a book for reading but a book for inspiration.  The books became sort of scrapbook/doodle pad/file folder/coloring books.  I told the kids they could do anything they wanted in these books; draw, cut, color, paste, sticker, glitter, tape,  paint...We were gung-ho for awhile but then the books got put away for some reason and now, I've just found them this past week.  And I can't stop working on mine.
When did it become so hard to doodle?!  I can't think of what to draw.  During my writing meeting this week, it was unanimously decided that part (only part, mind you!) of my problem is that I need to loosen up...just let go.  But, like, how do you do that?  So,...this doodle book is good for me.  There is no purpose, no planning.  The more scribbling and coloring and gluing and adding, the better.  And, I'm having to violate one of my biggest rules, "Never write in books"! Yeah, this is out of control.
When you reread a classic,
you do not see more in the book
than you did before;
you see more in yourself
than there was before.
- Clifton Fadiman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!