Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Own Your Own Mood

Kate's performance as Aphrodite Colossus Athena Swenson in her middle school production of Dear Edwina is coming fast.  It's a small role but a fun one with a cute song.  This past weekend, our "to-do" list included creating a '50s themed costume for her.  I made this poodle skirt thanks to tutorials here and here.  We found the V-neck sweater and blouse at a thrift store and added ribbon and buttons to make it look like a cardigan.  The white tennies were on clearance at Target and we used a black Sharpie to turn them into saddle shoes. 
I saw a newsletter on parenting in my email inbox this weekend.  I subscribe to a site that sends them out every so often.  I read this one and it applied so directly to how I was feeling, it was eerie. As our kids get older, we expect more from them and when they don't always live up to those expectations, we get cranky.  Or if they're cranky, we may get cranky.  I know I sometimes do.  This article talks about these expectations and these mood changes and the need for us, as parents/friends/spouses/coworkers, to avoid taking on the moods of those around us.  The concept isn't exclusive to parenting and the article reads in such a simple and "duh" way - I was happy to have found it.  Here's a link to a link of the word.doc article if you'd like to read it (it's the "Allowing Our Children their Moods" article).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!