Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ding, Ding, Ding, Jackpot! Jackpot!

See this stack of toilet paper on the bathroom counter?  Do YOU think this is where we keep our supply of toilet paper?  It's not.  While putting the new paper away, last Thursday, I was interrupted and had to leave the rest here on the counter for a bit.  Then I wondered how long it would take before someone would notice it and put it away.  My slogan around the house this summer has been, "If you notice it needs to be done, just do it."  We all live here.  We all can help out.  So, this toilet paper on the counter became an experiment.  More in a moment...
A few years ago, Kate and I read All-of-a-Kind-Family for our book club.  In chapter two, the mother puts a dozen buttons under objects around the sitting room.  The five little sisters take turns dusting and have to find the 12 buttons before they can call it done - which means they have to dust under things that might not have a button under them also.
So I decided that putting the toilet paper away was going to be worth $5 the first day (a big amount for impact on my experiment) and that I'd deduct $1 every day it went undone.  So today we're down to $1, the toilet paper is still there (one of the kiddos even moved it, stacked it on the toilet, and then moved it back onto the counter!), and I had a neighbor stopping by.  I didn't want this toilet paper sitting out.  So, on the way home from swimming this morning, I explained the experiment, without saying what the task was that had gone undone.  I said that it was still worth $1 if anyone noticed and took care of it before lunch.
"How will we know what it is?" they asked.
"I guess you'll just have to go around the house taking care of everything until you see me start running in circles with my hands flapping in the air yelling, "ding, ding, ding, jackpot, jackpot!"
Kate said, "If you're going to do that, I'm definitely out."
When we got home, I grabbed my camera to take a photo of the toilet paper (to show you all).  But Kate was in the bathroom so I waited casually downstairs until I heard her go back to her room.  When I went up to take the photo...the paper was put away.  I ran down the hall yelling at the top of my lungs, "ding, ding, ding, jackpot, jackpot!" 
Kate came out of her room and said, "I thought you said you'd run in circles flapping your hands in air."
And so I did.
And then I stacked the toilet paper back on the counter, took a picture and put it away again.

1 comment:

Please leave a comment - thank you!