Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Not Mr. McGregor's Lettuce Cups

I cut this recipe from the newspaper last month and finally got around to making it - DELICIOUS!  I had children fighting over the last of it.  I doubled the recipe and put half in the freezer - I'll let you know how it freezes.  But it was so easy!  I followed the recipe straight through except I used half beef and half turkey (really like this combined flavor).  I used regular soy sauce but it seems a little salty for my taste - I would try lower sodium soy sauce (do they make such a thing?) next time.  Warning: when you add the fish sauce, it smells AWFUL and you'll think that you've ruined the whole thing but, amazingly, when you add the next ingredients, it blends and mellows and becomes just wonderful.

Having eaten so much of it (it was THAT good), I remembered the Beatrix Potter story, The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies, where the bunnies overindulge on Mr. McGregor's lettuces.   I just love the little Beatrix Potter books.  I love their size; I love their lessons; I love the voice that tells the story.
And where else can you get such an awesome vocabulary lesson without even realizing it?  Although I think "soporific" sounds too exciting to mean sleepy but...I'm not in charge of these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!