Monday, June 25, 2012

Taking Inventory and Looking for White Spaces

After years of incessantly covering all our white walls with any (and every) other color of paint, I find myself looking for a blank canvas...to paint...white.  Just white.  I'm not sure what, if anything, that might say about my life right now - I'm guessing probably something like slow down, lose the crazy, SIMPLIFY.  For now, I'm just letting it linger.  I'll wait till fall and if I'm stilll looking for white, I'll open the windows, move the furniture, and start painting.
This little quilt I made for Kate just before she was born.  I came across it, in the closet, the other day and decided to record it here.  This is a good place to inventory the things I've made in the past.  I remember these little cross-stitch patterns of animals.  The patterns did not instruct to fill in the backgrounds with stitches but...I just couldn't leave the white spaces - I had to fill them in.  And I like how it turned out but find it funny now to notice the absence of white space.  The khaki borders around each square are cut from Mark's old work pants and the back (which you can't see here) is a fabric that I really don't care for - a paper-bag brown with green and pink flowers - very drab.  Maybe I'll switch it out one day.  Or maybe I'll like it one day.  We'll wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!