Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hat Trick

Last week was my littlest nephew's birthday.  I wanted to give him just the perfect gift.  Then I remembered these perfect books (that I read nearly every time I'm at Target).  I have been waiting for the perfect little reason to buy them for a perfect little person.  Perfect!  And I made him this (going too far if I say perfect?) red hat.
I love reading these two books.  If Kate or John are at Target with me, I read them aloud.  (They're not really thrilled with that privelege - at all).  If not, I try to restrain myself.  Just so fun.  And they are so engaging.  Reading together, you can't help feeling conspiratorial in knowing where this plot is going.  And, oh no, it's not going to turn out well - lying and stealing - never turns out good.
(The rabbit doth protest too much, methinks.  See, you could introduce a little Shakespeare even.)
I think that hat belongs to the bear.  What do you think?
(nods) It does.  It's the bear's hat.
Is the rabbit going to give it back to the bear?
(shakes head) I don't think so.  He wants to keep it.

In the book, This is Not My Hat, a little fish takes a big fish's hat while the big fish is sleeping.  Then the little fish goes to hide.  A crab (or lobster?) sees where the little fish is hiding but promises not to tell.  So the little thief fish says he's "not worried about that."
Do you think maybe the little fish should be worried?
(smiles a little devilishly) Yeah.
Did the crab keep his promise?
No.
Is that little fish going to get in trouble?
Yes.
Is the big fish mad?
Yes because that is his hat and the little fish took it and it's not his and he's trying to keep it and you can't take stuff that's not yours.
SCORE!
Do not steal.  Do not lie.  And hang on to your hat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!