Monday, November 19, 2012

Is It a Problem?

What do you call it when you know you have a habit that you should stop but...you don't (or won't)?  A problem, right?  I'm not admitting it.  I'm just asking.  I tried working at Barnes and Noble once, right after college.  I had a day job but I had also just bought my first house and thought spending my evenings and weekends working in a bookstore, earning a little extra, sounded awesome.  But it was too much temptation.  You wouldn't believe the stuff you can find in a bookstore if you have 4 or 5 hours to spend there, 5 or 6 times a week.  Let me tell you, you find a lot more stuff than an evening/weekend paycheck can afford.  And then its just heartbreaking.  So, I didn't sign on after the "holiday help" season passed.
The problem is I love books.  And I want access to them all the time, which means I want to own them, have them at my fingertips. 
Now,...I'm at the used bookstore last week (see, why do I even go into these places?!) and I found this little book in the above picture.  Or is it a little book?
Ha - it's a case for my phone.  Well, yeah, I bought it!  Wouldn't you have?  Well, if you were me, I mean?  So cool.  Except when I get an actual phone call.  Then it's a little awkward to open flat and hold against the side of my head.  I don't care though - it's so cool.
So, then I went to the library.  I love the library too.  I love that we can borrow any of these millions of books for free.  But when I borrow one that I really love, I kinda want to go out and buy it so that I can have it.  I try really hard not to be materialistic and, for the most part, I think I succeed.  But the book thing?  I really like having them, lots of them.  Okay, so I'm at the library because I have this sudden craving for Ezra Keats.  Remember Ezra Keats from elementary school?  That's where I first discovered him - in the book, Peter's Chair.  And it's such a vivid memory.  I could tell you exactly which shelf in our elementary school library the Ezra Keats books were - I can walk to that shelf in my sleep even today.  So, I checked out a bunch of Keats books to read with my lunch.

And I'm on my way out of the library, patting myself on the back for coming to the library, instead of the bookstore, to fill this urge.  And then I pass the "officially withdrawn" library books for sale shelf. -!- Really?  They had Matthew Pearl's The Last Dickens hardcover for only $1!  I've read The Poe Shadow and loved it.  I think I would like The Last Dickens.  Granted, Dickens isn't Poe but...(sigh)
it's a conspiracy.  (or a problem).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!