Monday, May 7, 2012

A Gift of Love

I love giving gifts.  I especially love giving gifts that I've made for a special someone - or two special someones who are expecting two more special someones!

These are the Tell Me A Story quilts that I've been working on for two of my nieces who are both expecting in July (one, a girl and one, a boy).  The quilt idea is from The Modern Quilt Workshop.  I've seen pictures online and had the book reserved at the library but it didn't come in time so I had to sketch the quilt out on graph paper, rally up my math skills (Oh - that's what I'm ever gonna use this for!) and kinda guess on construction but it was very fun to put together.  The idea is that you start your story at one of the picture squares, then choose your path to the next picture to continue your adventure and keep on going.  Of course, I adore anything that fosters storytelling.  Mix it into a snuggly quilt and its perfect!

Yesterday, us aunties hosted a double baby shower and I was totally giddy with anticipation for them to open these quilts.  I just love giving gifts!  These photos are a little blurry because, yes, I was up late Saturday finishing the binding.  I don't prewash the fabrics or batting because I like how everything shrinks a little after the first washing and sorta puckers up.  So, Sunday morning I was washing and drying each blanket individually (didn't want the colors running into each other), puckering them up and then quick took them outside for a snapshot before wrapping them.



2 comments:

Please leave a comment - thank you!