Monday, May 21, 2012

Yarnbombed!

Kate's softball games are almost always at the High School ball fields but this past weekend they were moved to another field across town.  On the way, we stopped for gas and turned the wrong way out of the station.  Thanks to that wrong turn, guess what we saw?  My first sighting of real live yarn bombing!  I've read about it and seen pictures but never right there, in my face.  Yarn Bombing (or Grandma Graffiti) is knit or crocheted art on public signs, railings, buildings...

There was a car behind me so I whipped around the block and pulled up to the sign.  Kate was riding shotgun so she took this lovely photo.  It is a little hard to see because of the green trees behind it but the post of this stop sign is wearing a "flower stem" sweater.

Technically yarn bombing is illegal but, since there are no territorial claims associated with it and it doesn't permanently damage the property, the act isn't usually prosecuted.  I wonder if this is still there - maybe I'll drive by tomorrow and check.

When my nephew was born, I wanted to make him a crocheted blanket, but blankets with holes just don't ring "cozy" to me.  So, I crocheted the top and then sewed a back and binding to it to make this little crocheted quilt; small enough for him to drag around:

2 comments:

  1. Love that stopby sign! I had never heatd of "yarn bombing" before...but now I'll be on the lookout! Great idea for the crocheted quilt too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it's so cool (the yarn bombing) Sometime when I have nothing else to do, I'm gonna bomb something - with yarn - when I have nothing else to do.

      Delete

Please leave a comment - thank you!