Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Two Sheets to the Hair

I always have a hard time finding a headband that doesn't either slip off or else squeeze my head so tight that my teeth hurt.  One wide black fabric band has been my staple accessory until I started thinking the famous (or fatalistic?), "I could make that!" 
Okay, that was a few years ago and the pattern I found on Larissa's blog has been sitting patiently on my project-to-do shelf (which spilled out from my project-to-do closet).  I had some fabric left over, and still on my sewing table, from the Tell Me a Story Quilts and a Peanuts sheet that I got at a garage sale for a quarter.
I really like each of them but I think Kate has alreay claimed the Happiness is..., which is also reversible!
When visiting my Grandma K. as a child, my cousin Tina and I would have our hair "put in rags" after our baths.  The rags were an old sheet torn into 3 inch strips.  After winding hair around the fabric, you wind the fabric back up around the hair and, in the morning, you have long ringlet curls.  My Grandma had four daughters and every Saturday night they would bathe, comb out thier hair and wrap it in rags.  Kate asked me to do her hair last night:
And in the morning:
Once you comb your fingers through the ringlets, it creates very soft curls. As Kate used to say, beau-fa-ful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!