Friday, May 11, 2012

LOST with what book?

While waiting for more Mad Men and/or Boardwalk Empire discs from Netflix, I've been rewatching episodes of LOST.  I might be enjoying it even more than the first time!  This is a show that my friend, Joanne, kept telling me I would like but I insisted on dragging my feet for some reason.  Of course, she was completely right on!

I once found a link to a LOST book club which seems to be now defunct but wouldn't that be a great parameter? There are so many books shown, quoted from, or referenced in the series.  This is a link to another blog with a list of the books featured on LOST.  At some point, I'm gonna get through this list!

So, I've been thinking...if I were lost on a deserted island, which of my books would I hope to find in my suitcase (assuming I could find my suitcase)?  Although Wuthering Heights is my all time fave for it's wonderful storytelling and gorgeous gothic elements, I think it would not be the best companion on a deserted island.  I would be happy if I had remembered to pack Colette's My Mother's House and Sido (the gray covered book above).  These are two different pieces collected in this one book and I have read it numerous times.  For me, there is no author who is able to tranport me to another place and time as succintly as Colette does.  For days after reading, I feel I've recently visited close friends in a small house of a rural french town; a house filled with books, freshly baked bread, cats sleeping in the kitchen, and a walled back garden where the children are playing.  To be in such warm company while on a deserted island would be nice, I think.  What book would you hope to find?

The little book in the middle is one that is always in my purse - another that I've read many, many times.  Why don't they make these little pocket sized books anymore?!  The one on the left is a gift my parents brought home for me on their most recent trip to France - that one, I've never read and probably never will but I love having it in the language in which it was originally written.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!