Friday, April 20, 2012

Band-Aids Make Everything Better

It's funny how quickly we go through Band-Aids at our house.  I had to pick up more this morning to refill my purse supply and put some in the kids' bat bags and look what I found - Muppets!  No matter how big the boo-boo (or small - "where is it again?  This foot?  No, that foot?  No, wait, I think it is this foot"!), a Band-Aid always makes it feel better; makes you feel cared for and loved.

John has always loved Robert McCloskey books (Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings, One Morning in Maine,...).  A little while back, I met a friend from Chicago in Green Bay for a girls' weekend.  Shopping at a used bookstore, I found a copy of Burt Dow; Deep-Water Man by Robert McCloskey which I brought home for John.  I hadn't ever seen the story before and it quickly became John's favorite McCloskey book - a great read-aloud book, kind of a tongue twister but really fun once you get going!  In it, Burt Dow accidently catches a whale by the tail with his fishing hook.  When he takes the hook out, he places a band-aid on the tail.  The whale is pacified but ole' Burt is soon surrounded by a school of unhappy whales, splashing their tails and nearly capsizing Burt.  Finally, Burt figures it out - they just feel left out; they want band-aids on their tails also.  You can see in this picture how happy they all are with band-aids on their tails!

2 comments:

  1. it's so great to be mentioned as the one from Chicago... I love the band-aid connection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great trip - and thanks for the comments!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - thank you!