Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Good Book I Can't Read

When I showed up, recently, at a family function, my brother said, "Hey, Ms. Poppins - got a light?"  My brothers have sarcastic and quick senses of humor and I don't always "get it".  I didn't get it so he had to explain.  Apparently, my new purse looked (to him) like the one from which Mary Poppins (Ms. Poppins) pulls a lamp (light).  Aha.  Ha.  Ha.
I decided not to provide him with more material by telling him about my story association upon first seeing the purse in the store.  I agreed with him on the carpet bag image but, for me, I thought right away of Huck and Jim on their raft down the river when they meet two carpetbaggers.
(And I still bought the purse!)
At the thrift store today, I found this red covered copy of Tom Sawyer by Samuel Clemens:
How cool is that?!  It has no publication date in it so I'll have to research and find out more.  The two blue covered copies I've had for years. 

My Dad used to travel a lot for work and would sometimes bring home gifts for us.  These Twain hardcovers were my gift from a trip to Chicago.  Here's the really cool part (well, in my mind anyway):

When the book was printed, it was multiple pages on big sheets of paper that were folded and then the edges cut.  Only this book didn't get all it's bottom edges cut.  Of course, I could seperate them easily with my finger.  But I never would. 
Twain said, "The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them."
I can read this book but I won't because I can't open the pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!