Saturday, April 21, 2012

Polka on Pandora

I spent a good part of today visiting my grandma in her hospital room where she's recovering from an infection before returning to her memory care home.  Worn down from infection and tired of her hospital stay, she was sleepy and despondant when we first arrived.  She hadn't been eating much so I brought  chocolate chip cookies in an effort to increase her calorie intake - not interested.  I brought magazines with colorful pictures of garden plans - not so interested.  Not even worth staying awake for really.  It was so quiet in the room and dreary with the rain streaming down the window.
We needed music.  My grandma used to be quite the polka dancer, so I got my phone out, opened Pandora and keyed in "polka".  Sure enough, Pandora has a wide diversity of polka music!  I set the phone on the bed and fingers started tapping.  Soon, I was showing her how to slide the screen to see the album cover and artist.  The rest of the visit was spent cozily drinking coffee, eating cookies, crocheting, and listening to polka on Pandora!  Definitely favorite use of my smartphone so far!!
If I can stop one heart from breaking,
I shall not live in vain;
If I can ease one life the aching,
Or cool one pain,
Or help one fainting robin
Unto his nest again,
I shall not live in vain.
--Emily Dickinson                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - thank you!