Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mama Needs a New Pair of Shoes

I love these shoes and have had them since before Kate was born.  I've known that I probably need to replace them soon; the stitching has been coming undone, etc.  But when I rested my foot across my knee today, I saw that the shoe is actually breaking in half! My right shoe is fine - old, but fine.  What's up with my left foot?
In this increasingly disposable world we live in, there simply are not many things we hang onto until they just can't be fixed anymore.  Other than the universal "go-to", duct tape, I don't know what could help my shoes at this point. 
Remember that Brady Bunch episode where Peter breaks Carol's vase and all the kids glue it back together so that Peter won't be grounded from his camping trip?  When is the last time you glued a vase, or a plate, or a coffee cup back together?  (Or even just sew a button back on?)  New items are so easily and reasonably available.  But there are some things that just can't be replaced.  "New" just wouldn't be the same - like my shoes.
And Pinky, Kate's stuffed cat (trust me - it is a cat, just doesn't have a nose, tail, or most of it's fur anymore!):
And John's Tonka scooper (less all the levers, except a stray rod that sticks out):

4 comments:

  1. I say you find an Old World shoe cobbler who can replace the sole - your feet will thank you. FYI - it might cost more than you think, but it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's what Kate suggested also! Great minds...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - thank you!